Population study is an important chapter around the world. India is the second most populated country in the world, the population survey in India began in 1885. The population of the world was 100 crore in 1800, but by the 1930s it has reached 200 crores. It had crossed 300 crores in 1960 and 600 crores by the end of the twentieth century.
The rapid population growth has created an uncomfortable environment for the world. Its adverse effects on the economic, social, and political spheres are clearly visible today. Developing countries of the world, in particular, have been greatly affected by population growth. Rapid population growth has shaken the economy of developing countries and paralyzed social status. Therefore, to cope successfully with population growth, its definition, nature, and scope need to be discussed.
Definition of population study
Different authors have given different definitions to explain the population study - Frank Lorimer said that in a broad sense, sociology involves both demographic analysis and population-based studies. It explores both the qualitative and quantitative aspects of the population.
Dr. G. Buckley argues that population study does not study the behavior of particular individuals but rather relates to the individual or the total population or its subdivisions. ("Demography does not deal with the behavior of individuals but with the aggregates of peoples or even part thereof. The numerical portrayal of the human population is known as demography "
According to Irene Tonker - With improved data, new techniques and precise measurement of the demographic transition that is occurring demography has become a science rather than literature.
It is clear from this that:
- Population study is a special category of knowledge that is connected to the population.
- It is associated with changes in the size, structure, and distribution of the population.
- It uses probabilistic and quantitative methods and mathematical techniques for the right amount.
- In the current context, this is a socially beneficial and developmental issue.
- It is not just educational and descriptive details but systematic knowledge.